Violinist Awarded Guild Scholarship

Bryan Kaleta received the top Music Guild Scholarship, up to $40,000 over four years

Bryan Kaleta received the top Music Guild Scholarship, up to $40,000 over four years

Violinist Bryan Kaleta, a senior at Canyon Crest Academy in San Diego, earned top honors at the sixth annual Music Guild Competition March 3, where seven high school seniors competed for Westmont music scholarships. He received the $10,000 Music Guild scholarship (up to $40,000 over four years) plus awards for private music instruction and chamber music. Three of the other six finalists, Hannah Duff, Michael Kong and Isaac Siebelink, are Augustinian Scholars who had already been offered 85 percent of tuition. Their Music Guild Scholarships would satisfy the remaining 15 percent of their tuition. The remaining three finalists, Hana Kodaka, Anna Terveen and Sarah Chan, all received a $10,000 Westmont Music Scholarship in addition to other special considerations.

The 2018 Music Guild winners

The 2018 Music Guild winners

“The music, of course, was the best part of the evening,” says Michael Shasberger, Adams professor of music and worship. “However, the joy around the tremendous outpouring of support from the audience and the donors (during the award ceremony) was priceless as well. The future of the Westmont music department is indeed bright with such a strong field of prospective students.”

The Guild Scholarship program is funded by the Guild for Music at Westmont. For information about becoming a Guild member or any aspect of this competition, please contact the Westmont Music Office at (805) 565-6040.