Before embarking on a spring tour, the Westmont Orchestra hosts a romantic Valentine’s dinner fundraiser on Thursday, Feb. 14, at Santa Barbara Community Church, 1002 Cieneguitas Road. Tickets to the concert and dinner, which begins at 6 p.m., cost $30 each or $50 for two, $25 each for seniors or $40 for two, and may be purchased online at westmont.edu/music. Tickets to only the concert, which begins at 7 p.m., cost $10. Members of the Westmont College Choir will serve the tables. A live silent auction, prepared by the students, will be held throughout the evening.
“The orchestra performance features an exciting repertoire that includes three major opera overtures,” says director Michael Shasberger. “All the music is rich in storytelling and orchestral color.”
The performance features “Tannhäuser” by Richard Wagner, “Magic Flute” by Wolfgang Mozart, “Nabucco” by Giuseppe Verdi, “The Moldau” by Bedrich Smetana and music from the movie “Up” by Michael Giacchino.
The orchestra then hits the road to perform at several cities including Tempe, Ariz., and San Diego Feb. 15-18. Admission is free to all performances, although a goodwill offering will be taken.
“The orchestra’s annual tour is a highlight of the season for the musicians and a tremendous outreach for Westmont,” Shasberger says. “It brings Westmont’s story to a wide-ranging and diverse audience and heightens the performance skills and experiences of our students.”
Performance Dates and Locations
- Friday, Feb. 15, at 7 p.m. at First Congregational Church of Redlands, 2 W. Olive Ave., Redlands, Calif.
- Saturday, Feb. 16, at 7 p.m. at King of Glory Lutheran Church, 2085 E. Southern Ave., Tempe, Ariz.
- Sunday, Feb. 17, at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. at Scottsdale Bible Church North Ridge, 6363 E. Dynamite Blvd, Cave Creek, Ariz., for morning worship
- Sunday, Feb. 17, at 7 p.m. at Green Valley Church,12395 World Trade Dr., San Diego, Calif.
- Monday, Feb. 18, at 7 p.m. at Grace First Presbyterian Church, 3955 N. Studebaker Rd., Long Beach, Calif.
- Tuesday, Feb. 19, the orchestra will wraps up its tour with a day at Disneyland