Sports Information Director
E-Mail Ron Smith
Ron Smith has served as the Sports Information Director for Westmont College since July 1, 2004. A member of the College Sports Informaiton Directors of America (CoSIDA) and the NAIA Sports Information Directors Association (NAIA-SIDA), Smith served on the NAIA-SIDA Board of Directors from 2009-2012 and is currently serving another two-year term.
From January of 2008 through January of 2010, Smith served as the SID representative to the Golden State Athletic Conference Executive Committee and from September 2006 to May of 2008, served on the GSAC Player of the Week Selection Committee. In the summer of 2009, Smith redesigned the GSAC website, adding database functionality.
During his seven years at Westmont, Smith has helped to develop the services of the sports information office. Some of those developments include:
- Redesign of the Westmont Athletics website and creation of athlete profile and statistical databases.
- Implementation of live video broadcasting of home events for eight of Westmont’s teams (men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, baseball, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s track and field).
- Creation of the Warrior Update weekly email publication
- Initiated eScores, Westmont Athletic’s text messaging system.
- Improved Westmont’s game day operations.
- Developed Westmont Athletics social media accounts.
Smith has won numerous awards from the NAIA-SIDA Publication Contest including four-first place awards for media guide production and a first place award for writing. He also received first place in District Eight (Western US) in CoSIDA’s Fred S. Stabley, Sr. Writing Contest in the category of Event Coverage. In May of 2011, Smith was one of three recipients of Westmont’s Employee of the Year Award and is a 2013 recipient of the Karem Holms for care and mentorship of student employees.
Before coming to Westmont, Smith was the owner/operator of Santa Barbara WebSmith for a period of four years. Prior to that, he served 17 years in local ministry, eight as campus minister for the Turnpike Road Church of Christ and nine as the congregational minister for the same church.
Ron and his wife Leslie have three grown children (Hannah, Josh and Naomi) and four granddaughters (Cailyn, Jaana, Ellie and Isabelle).