Friday – Saying Goodbye

This morning we went to see our entrepreneurs for the last time. Right when we got there, Edna our entrepreneur, had her food stand all set up with a nice shelter and some fresh produce. Kami and I were so impressed and proud of the way she had taken full advantage of her loan and the opportunity she has been provided. After praying with her and saying goodbye, we went and visited other entrepreneurs and played with kids. When we caught our last moped to head back to the hotel, I felt sad as I realized how much I looked forward to going home to a life of comfort when the people I met in Port de Paix don’t have that same luxury. Living in Port de Paix would be hard. I don’t think I could do it. It will still be hard work for these entrepreneurs despite the hand up they’ve been given. Leaving Edna today though, I felt confident that she would be successful.

After we left our entrepreneurs, we waited around getting ready for what we hoped would be an uneventful bus ride across Haiti in the middle of the night. That’s what we thought it would be. We waited for the bus to show up…and we waited…and waited. Pretty soon it was 12:30 a.m., over three hours past when the bus was supposed to get us. We finally got on the bus, annoyed with the three-hour delay and the bus driver’s excuse of having to bribe a police officer and change two tires before he came to get us. I made my way to the back of the bus, the only open seat, when we finally started moving. Kyla and I turned to each other and started laughing when we realized how ridiculously bumpy the next 8 hours were going to be. About 10 minutes into the drive we stopped. We didn’t move again for another hour as our bus driver attempted to bribe a police officer to let us pass. Our money bribes weren’t working, as the policeman wanted to ride with us to Port de Prince. At this point we thought there’d be no way we could make our flight on time. It was 2 a.m. and we had to catch a flight at 8 a.m. Finally, miraculously, we made it out of Port de Paix. At this point I was pretty confident that there would be no way we could make our flight. The drive normally takes 8 hours and our flight left in 6. Throughout the drive I couldn’t sleep, and just focused on not getting sick. Our driver was speeding through the uneven, pothole filled roads in order to make up time. Despite all the drama, we somehow made our flight. Praise God! We were the last ones on the flight, but all of us were just relieved to be headed home.

0 replies