Response: Homosexual Rights

Posted By Horizon Staff February 14th, 2013 in Opinions & Editorials : 2 COMMENTS

Dear Editor,

In his article last week, Branton Nestor made a bold case for staying traditional in just about every hot topic in gay rights (marriage, military, Boy Scouts, etc.) I believe Nestor’s line of thinking is seriously misguided.

Perhaps my biggest problem with Nestor’s thought process is his dangerous inability to separate sexual preference from a person’s identity.

Nestor argues that the idea of homosexuality being a legitimate, private matter is wrong. While I don’t believe Christians should ignore the Bible’s teachings on homosexuality, the idea of it being more than a private sexual matter shows how far off base we have come. We must identify ourselves and other people based on our creational structure and our direction toward or away from God, not on our sexual orientation.

Let’s take the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in September 2011. The Palm Center think tank published a study a year after the repeal that involved DADT supporters, 553 officers who had opposed the repeal, and openly gay military personnel. The study found that the repeal has had no overall negative impact on military readiness. In fact, “greater openness and honesty resulting from the repeal seem to have promoted increased understanding, respect and acceptance.” If homosexuality were anything more than a personal sexual matter, then this would not have been the case.

Again, the ban on openly gay Boy Scouts is ridiculous. As a proud Eagle Scout myself, I know many scouts who struggle with sexual orientation but will not be open because of fear of rejection. These young men follow the BSA’s ideals; there is no difference between them and heterosexual scouts except in their orientation. Last summer, Camp Winton fired gay Eagle Scout Tim Griffin, prompting a third of the staff to quit. Although the BSA has denied that he was fired because of his orientation, many believe that to be the truth. How does this message of exclusion of even respected scouts who have a different sexual preference set a good example for young scouts?

My biggest problem with the exclusionary policy that Nestor recommends for these groups is that it seems to go against a fundamental Christian principle of inclusion. We’re all fallen sinners, so why do we place homosexuals on a pedestal of sin worse than ours?

Society tends to make sexual orientation into the defining characteristic of an individual. As Christians, we must remember that homosexuality is not an identity anymore than being a liar or even a murderer is. Rather, we should all find our identity in Christ. Colossians 3:3-4 says, “For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.”

—Donald Scherschlight ‘16

2 Responses

1. Branton Nestor says:

Donald makes a great rebuttal of an stance that, as I stated, I chose to not address in depth. I limited my discussion to asserting that Christians should view homosexuality as a sin, and their political actions should reflect this belief by supporting policies that prevent homosexual sexual relations from being elevated to the status of a legitimate right. I remark that while I believe homosexual’s participation in the public sphere (i.e. their participation in organizations such as the Boy Scouts, public leadership positions, state recognized marriage, etc.) should be considered in light of the sinful nature of homosexuality, I explicitly state that I will not be addressing this topic in my article. In short, I would suggest that future rebuttals and discussions to my arguments tackle the central points I am focusing on, rather than simply addressing arguments that have not yet been addressed in depth.

2. I found This site , iam very excited about getting more followers on bloglovin!

The Horizon's Facebook The Horizon's Twitter RSS Feed