Boston bombings rock Marathon

Posted By Horizon Staff April 16th, 2013 in News : 0 COMMENTS

Amanda Siegel
Staff Writer

The nation was left in shock this Monday as two bombs exploded near the finish line of the annual Boston Marathon, killing at least two and wounding over 100 people.  The blasts went off about 20 seconds apart at around 2:50 p.m., two hours after nearly 27,000 runners had already crossed the finish line (CNN).

The tragic and frightening scene was described by Dave Abel, a reporter for the Boston Globe: “All of a sudden there was a massive boom.  There was a sort of concussive blow that pushed a lot of people back.  I could see runners falling in front of me [and] when the smoke started to clear, I could see lots of bodies.”  Witnesses also reported severed limbs littering the streets and blood everywhere.

Widespread panic followed, with windows and barricades blown apart and the public screaming and running from the area as smoke billowed out over the streets.  Paramedics and medical staff struggled to attend to the victims amid the chaos and scattered debris.  Hospitals like Massachusetts General and Women’s Hospital filled with stretchers of victims in various states, ranging from inured to critical condition.  Doctors pulled ball bearings and shrapnel out of victims, indicating that the bombs were likely designed to cause widespread damage (CNN).  Some witnesses commented that a number of victims had lost one or both of their legs (NY Times).  One of the victims killed was confirmed to be an 8-year old boy.

Investigations are under way to discover who was responsible for the attack.  Investigators confirmed with the local gas and electric companies that malfunctions with their services had not been the cause.  Further evidence revealed that the two bombs were small and crudely made without high-grade material (CNN).

Devices that had not detonated were also found at St. John’s and Trinity Street, as well as two sites outside of Boston.  Edward F. Davis, Boston’s police commissioner, told reporters, “We’re treating this as an ongoing event at this time.”

Currently, authorities are calling this a terrorist attack, but it is not yet known if the source is domestic or foreign.  Terrorism analyst Evan Kohlmann notes how such acts of destruction have recently taken on a certain character: “If this was a deliberate act, unfortunately it certainly would reflect something that we’re seeing. There’s an emphasis on these soft-targeted attacks now. We’re moving away from the spectacular attacks and we’re moving into the small-grade, homegrown attacks” (NBC).

In a statement immediately following the tragedy, President Barak Obama said that authorities do not presently know who carried out the attack, but he vowed to bring “the full weight of justice” against those responsible (NBC).

Comments are closed.

The Horizon's Facebook The Horizon's Twitter RSS Feed