Nick Davis Memorial Scholarship established

Posted By Horizon Staff April 16th, 2013 in News : 1 COMMENTS

Sonora Sanchez
News Editor

In memory of beloved student Nick Davis, the Nick Davis Memorial Scholarship was founded by the Westmont administration and the Davis family in order to assist deserving students to attend Westmont without the stress of excess expenses. President Gayle Beebe has reported that the scholarship was first requested by the student body, and around the same time the Parents Council wrote Beebe a letter asking for the same motion.

Co-chairs on the Parents Council, Dr. Richard and Randi Danson, said, “In the spirit of remembrance, many people have expressed a desire to do something in Nick’s honor, to memorialize his life and time at Westmont.”

“Contributing to this scholarship fund provides a meaningful way to express empathy and support for Nick’s family. We hope the scholarship will provide a measure of solace to them, knowing that Nick’s legacy will be ongoing, assisting students in need at the school he loved.”

Nick’s time at Westmont was something that he always talked about happily and excitedly. His father, Terry Davis, spoke of Nick’s love for Westmont College. “He enjoyed every day he was at Westmont, except maybe the days leading up to final exams. He made such great friends – they were all like brothers and sisters. He always thanked me for letting him choose where he was going to school.”

Nick’s presence at Westmont will also be remembered and honored by the placement of a boulder with a plaque on it near the place of the accident. The plaque will include his class verse, his life verse and the last thing that Davis wrote in his Theology and Economics of Wealth and Poverty course taught by Helen Rhee. He wrote, “My faith now is stronger than it has ever been.”

Beebe has passed on a message to the senior class, saying, “I want the senior class to know how impressed I have been with your courage. You have persevered in the face of horrific tragedy. I didn’t know that about this senior class; your care for one another has continued all semester. I have so much gratitude for all of you, and I’d like you all to know that.

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to donate to the Nick Davis Memorial Fund, and can do so on the Westmont website or by writing a check to

Westmont College
Office of College Advancement
955 La Paz Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93108

One Response

1. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thanks, However I am going through issues with your RSS. I don’t know why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anybody else having similar RSS issues? Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

The Horizon's Facebook The Horizon's Twitter RSS Feed