Phoenix night coming soon!!

Posted By Horizon Staff April 30th, 2013 in Arts & Entertainment : 0 COMMENTS

Ashley Estebo

Staff Writer

Come one, come all and take part in the Phoenix Night, an evening filled with art, poetry, music and dessert, on Thursday, April 25, beginning at 7:30 p.m. in Porter Theatre.

According to fourth-year Mandi DeVos, this year’s Phoenix Editor-in-Chief, the purpose of this event is to showcase the talent of Westmont’s artists, musicians and writers whose works were published in the Phoenix and to glorify God through creativity and community sharing.

The entire Westmont community is invited to take part in this event, and so is the broader public. In addition, the Phoenix literary/arts magazine and the Phoenix CD will be distributed that night.

For the featured artists, the night may be the first time to perform their original pieces for an audience.

When she discovered her work would be featured through the Phoenix, third-year Paige Harris “…screamed, of course! And then called my mom,” she said. “Phoenix Night is sincerely a beautiful time when the community comes together and unwinds after a long semester to celebrate creativity and encourage the passions of our brothers and sisters.”

For Harris, the experience has already given her confidence in her musical talent.

“I’ve been a closet musician for years now, especially in such a talented, thriving community as Westmont,” she said. “Fear crippled my creativity until I met my friend, Tudor (who’s featured in my song) this past summer. He encouraged me to be honest and vulnerable, to just start writing. I think this whole process has been so freeing and beautiful. The positive feedback for the song has been so touching.”  For artists like Harris, the Phoenix is a chance to come out of hiding and express creative talents.

“Phoenix Night shifts the creative process from artist to community of artists, which is inevitably both rewarding and whimsical,” said fourth-year Kyli Sessions, another featured artist.

“I particularly enjoyed considering what might be an apt piece for the Phoenix creation as a whole, and then seeking to submit a piece that would benefit the collection and the community,” said Sessions.

An anonymous panel of judges chose the artists who will be showcased in the Phoenix magazine. All the bands on the CD had to go through an open audition process.

After months of creating works and going through the selection process, the Phoenix is finally ready to be unveiled!

“Phoenix Night is an important part of Westmont because it is one of the rare times where the range of human emotions and experiences are encouraged to be expressed creatively by a diverse group of artists – from all different majors and years in school – and shared openly with the community,” DeVos said.

“This night is the epitome of what the Phoenix envisions: to provide a platform for students to share their gifts with others. I strongly believe in the importance of every person’s voice being heard and that there is a beauty in how the intimacy of creativity calls people to respond. Yes, my Phoenix staff and I have worked all year to produce a literary-arts magazine and CD, but it is at Phoenix Night that we get to celebrate what it means to be human as a whole community.”

The Horizon's Facebook The Horizon's Twitter RSS Feed