Published: Summer 2010 in Giving

The Westmont Annual Fund is All About Students

To earn money this summer, Roxanne Love ’11 is working in construction. Breaking up concrete with a pounding jackhammer doesn’t faze her. A co-captain of the women’s soccer team, a goalie and a drummer for the chapel band, she’s used to high-pressure situations and noise. She’s learned to trust God when things get difficult. In May she spent two weeks in Uganda with the soccer team working with Sports Outreach to encourage and assist local Christians and do some evangelism. “The trip changed my life,” she says. “I saw God working everywhere, and I was completely dependent on Him to get through the day.” At Westmont, she’s been able to wrestle with difficult questions about her faith and take ownership of it. “My friends and professors encourage me to seek after Christ in everything I do,” she says. “I’ve had ups and downs at Westmont, and it’s been a safe place to be. During my lowest lows, I knew there were people here who care about me.” Roxanne enrolled at Westmont thanks to an athletic scholarship and a merit-based award. A kinesiology major, she wants to be a physical therapist helping children with birth defects. She also hopes to return to Africa someday. “It’s in my blood now,” she says.

Back to Top

Westmont Magazine Archives

Magazine Archives

+ browse all past issues
+ contains 1995 - current

Browse the Archives

Westmont Magazine App

Magazine App

+ exclusive content
+ alumni class notes
+ in-app bookmarking

Download the App