Forty-Year Anniversary of Roe v. Wade

Posted By Horizon Staff February 7th, 2013 in Letters to the Editor : 0 COMMENTS

Seth Gruber
Guest Writer

If you are a student, you probably were not even alive when abortion was legalized.  In fact, many of your parents had not even met when abortion was legalized.  Furthermore, most of your parents probably weren’t even of marrying age when abortion was legalized.  Abortion has been around for so long that sadly and unfortunately, it has become an accepted evil, often termed by some as a necessary evil.

Tuesday, January 22nd 2013 marked the forty-year anniversary since the legalization of abortion.  Since then, over 50 million babies have been killed.  These killings have been protected by this country of freedom and justified under the word “choice” and “women’s rights”.  Now let me be very clear.  I believe most of us, including myself are pro-choice.  We believe women should have certain rights and choices, which are protected by the government.  For example, I believe women should have the right to vote, choose whom to marry, where to work, etc…  Where I draw the line is when those “rights” are used to justify the murder of unborn children whose lives began at the moment of conception, and therefore are to be protected by the government.

Given that this atrocity has continued for so long, we as Christians cannot take a middle ground approach where we verbally affirm that we’re opposed to abortion but refuse to lift a finger to stop the killing.  Our position is extremely similar to churches outside concentration camps in Nazi Germany that refused to assist the victimized Jews.  Abortions are happening on a daily basis in our nation, state, and city.  These unborn are in desperate need of our help and to be silent is to be complicit.

I am reminded of the story of the Good Samaritan in Luke, chapter ten.  A man was attacked and left bleeding and injured on the side of the road.  Two men walk pass him and refuse to help.  They may have felt compassion, in fact I’d bet they did; but they were not moved to action.  The third man, the Samaritan not only feels compassion, but also takes compassion.  Jesus finishes the story by saying, “Go and do likewise” (Luke 10:37b).

I want to encourage all of us to move beyond feeling compassion for the unborn victims who are ripped into tiny shreds by the abortion doctors’ tools, but learn to take compassion.  Begin in prayer: prayer for pregnant women contemplating abortion, prayer for the church to rise up against this issue, prayer for the defunding of planned parenthood, prayer for how you can engage, and prayer for the abolition of abortion.

This issue is far too big for one article, but if you want to know more, please consider viewing pro-life websites such as abortionno.org, studentsforlife.org, Abort73.com, and many others.  I am also available to talk with anyone who would like to educate themself or just ask me questions about this atrocious genocide.

The Horizon's Facebook The Horizon's Twitter RSS Feed