Toning Up: Getting in Shape with Personal Trainer Chris Ecklund

There are the folks who are serious about working out and those who are not so serious but see the benefit. I was decidedly unserious when I hooked up with Prevail Conditioning, owned and operated by Westmont College alum Chris Ecklund. But it turned out Ecklund is exactly what I was looking for: an affordable, effective, and motivating personal trainer who didn’t just talk a good game, but provided results. Ecklund graduated from Westmont College with a degree in kinesiology and got his graduate degree in the same study. He is a certified personal trainer with both the American Council on Exercise and the National Academy of Sports Medicine. He is a credentialed Olympic lifting club coach and a certified strength and conditioning specialist. And he teaches classes at both Westmont College and UCSB. He has been training people since 1996—sometimes on a contract basis, sometimes at clubs—but finally decided he wanted to open his own private facility recently. “I couldn’t really do what I wanted to do,” he explained. more